When shopping at a retail location in Phoenix, or anywhere nationwide, you have a reasonable expectation of a safe shopping environment. And with Scottsdale as such a fashion and shopping hotspot, it's no wonder that retail injuries are prevalent. As a part of a safe experience, shoppers expect a store to be well maintained, free of any debris, trash, liquid spills, or other hazardous conditions.
All retail locations owe a duty of safety to their customers. Grocery stores, supermarkets, shopping malls, boutiques, restaurants, and all retailers are responsible for ensuring that safe environment. When hazards are present, like liquid or debris, a slip and fall can occur and lead to serious injuries. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) some of the most common injuries of falls are broken bones, head injuries including traumatic brain injuries, and psychological fear of falling again. If you’ve been injured while shopping at a supermarket, grocery store, shopping mall, or other retail location, contact the Phoenix personal injury attorneys at Enara Law.
Arizona grocery stores and retailers deviating from their duty to maintain a safe premises is what gives rise to legal liability. As such, slip and fall accidents in Arizona are nearly always an assertion of negligence against the store owner. Retail store slip and fall accidents, store customers are broken up into three categories, depending on the classification of the person on the property:
- Invitee - Whenever you enter a property (grocery store, shopping mall) for business purposes (like to shop), you are an invitee. In such cases, the property owner owes a duty of reasonable care and to maintain the property reasonably safe.
- Licensee - Whenever you enter a property for your own purpose (like as a social guest) you are a licensee. Property owners owe a duty to disclose or warn licensees of any potential risks or hazards, if they know about it, and the licensee is unlikely to discover it.
- Trespasser - Someone entering onto the property without permission. In most cases, Arizona property owners owe no duty of care and safety to trespassers, unless the trespasser is a child.
A Scottsdale personal injury attorney can help you determine the proper classification and any attributed property owner negligence.
TYPES OF ACCIDENTS AT ARIZONA
SUPERMARKETS AND RETAIL STORES
Retail establishments like grocery stores, shopping centers, supermarkets and malls can be a hotbed for hazardous conditions. When not properly maintained, store conditions can become a unknowingly dangerous, inherently due to store layouts and the large amount of merchandise.
The following are some of the most common causes of retail store accidents in Phoenix:
- Spilled Liquids - spilled liquids create a slippery surface on supermarket and retail floors. Improper and untimely maintenance of spills and slippery surfaces is one of the leading causes of slip and fall injuries. Stores must promptly and thoroughly clean slippery surfaces on their property, and post a warning sign until cleaning is complete and dry.
- Debris in Walkways - scattered and uncleaned debris in aisles, walkways and stairs is another common cause of slip and falls. Customers run the risk of injury if the debris is seen, as they must maneuver around it. And if unseen, customers run the risk of tripping upon or slipping on the debris.
- Improper Merchandising - When positioning their merchandise in stores, retailers must ensure that their products are placed in a safe manner. When merchandise is stacked too high or displays are not reinforced, the risk of products falling on top of customers exists.
- Unsafe Flooring Surface - When the flooring at a retail store is improperly maintained, hazards exist. Broken or chipped tile, frayed carpet and wrinkled floor mats can all lead to serious risk of falling and severe injuries.
Customers are not the only ones who can be injured by a negligent retailer. Retail employees are often overlooked, but have some of the highest number of injuries while working. According to the Los Angeles Times, retail employees suffer a greater number of injuries than factory workers.
HOW MUCH DOES A SLIP AND FALL
ATTORNEY IN PHOENIX COST?
At Enara Law, Bringing Legal to Light™ is all about transparency, and that's especially important to us when it comes to cost. Enara works to make the legal process as transparent, simple and rewarding as possible for our clients. We know that people who are seeking the help of our personal injury lawyers are already in an unexpected and difficult situation- and we are not here to add to the burden with high legal fees or hidden costs.
We are transparent with our fees, which we charge on a contingency basis- with no hidden fees. That means you don't pay if we don't win.
- We offer a free and confidential case consultation.
- We advance all costs associated with the cases we handle.
- We handle all cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning we charge absolutely no fees unless we win- You Pay Nothing if We Don't Win!
PHOENIX SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT LAWYERS- FREE
AND CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTATIONS
The aggressive personal injury attorneys at Enara Law are ready to help get you compensated if you have unexpectedly been injured as the result of a slip and fall accident at a store or retail establishment.